Contents of Coursepack of IH Graduate Seminar, January-May 2001
1. "Pearls from ... Meeting on Grant Writing." Taken by L. Harrison, 1991.
2. Outline from Grantsmanship Workshop. Ruben Adler, 1991.
3. Proposal Writer's Guide. Division of Research Development and Administration, The University of Michigan, 1998 website.
4. IH Graduate Seminar proposal on a vitamin A supplementation trial. IH Student.
5. IH Graduate Seminar proposal on health services research. IH Student.
6. Unknown Texan from the U.T. School of Public Health (c. 1977). Design of observational study.
7. Starr, M.D., Rogas, J.C., Zeledón R., Hird D.W., and T.E. Carpenter. (1991). Chagas' Disease: Risk factors for house infestation by Triatoma dimidiata, the major vector of Trypanosoma cruzi in Costa Rica. Am J Epidemiology 133:740-747.
[Not in coursepack, but also relevant:
Trout, Kilgore S. (1981). How to read clinical journals: IV. To determine etiology or causation. Canadian Med Asso J 1224:985-990.
Riegelman, R.K., Hirsch, R.P. (1989). Studying a Study and Testing a Test: How to Read the Medical Literature. Second Edition. Little, Brown, and Co.: Boston. Chapter 9: Summary: Studying a Study.
Ryan-Wenger, N.M. (1992). Guidelines for critique of a research report. Heart Lung 21:394-401.
Beck, C.T. (1990). The research critique: General criteria for evaluating a research report. J Obst Gyn Neonat Nursing 19:18-22.
8. Ethical Considerations. Chapter 4 in: Methods for Field Trials of Interventions Against Tropical Diseases: A Toolbox. Ed. P.G. Smith and R.H. Morrow, 1991 Oxford U. Pr.
9. International Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research Involving Human Subjects. CIOMS, 1993, WHO:Geneva.
10. Selected WHO/CIOMS Publications. Descriptions garnered from a WHO website.
11. World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. Revised, October 2000.
12. Royall, R.M. (1976). Current advances in sampling theory: implications for human observational studies. Am J. Epidemiology 104:463-474. With Discussion by S.W. Greenhouse, 475-477.
Article Critiques: focus on research question selection
13. George, S.M., Latham, M.C., Abel, R., Ethirajan, N., and E.A. Frongillo, Jr. (1993). Evaluation of effectiveness of good growth monitoring in south Indian villages. The Lancet 342:348-352.
14. Havanon, N., Bennett, A., and J. Knodel. (1993). Sexual networking in provincial Thailand. Studies in Family Planning 24:1-17.
Article Critiques: focus on design/question matchup
15. Carter, C.N., Ronald, N.C., Steele, J.H., Young, E., Taylor, J.P., Russell, L.H.J., Eugster, A.K. & West, J.E. (1997) Knowledge-based patient screening for rare and emerging infectious/parasitic diseases: a case study of brucellosis and murine typhus. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 3: 73-76.
16. Cao, X.-Y., Jiang, X.-M., Dou, Z.-H., Rakeman, M.A., Zhang, M.-L., O'Donnell, K., Ma, T., Amette, K., DeLong, N., and G.R. DeLong. (1994). Timing of vulnerability of the brain to iodine deficiency in endemic cretinism. N Engl J Med 331:1739-1744.
Article Critiques: focus on sample size determination and interim analyses
17. Ward, J., Brenneman, G., Letson, G.W., Heyward, W.L., and the Alaska H. Influenzae Vaccine Study Group. (1990). Limited efficacy of a Haemophilus influenzae Type b conjugate vaccine in Alaska native infants. N Engl J Med 323:1393-1401.
18. Santosham, M., Wolff, M., Reid, R., Hohenboken, M., Bateman, M., Goepp, J., Cortese, M., Sack, D., Hill, J., Newcomer, W. Capriotti, L. Smith, J., Owen, M., Gahagan, S., Hu, D., Kling, R., Lukacs. L., Ellis, R.W., Vella, P.P., Calandra, G., Matthews, H., and V. Ahonkhai. (1991). The Efficacy of Navajo Infants of a conjugate vaccine consisting of Haemophilus influenzae type b polysaccharide and neisseria meningitidis outer-membrane protein complex. New Engl J of Med 324:1767-1772.
19. Palmer, C.R., Rosenberger, W.F. (1999). Ethics and practice: alternative designs for phase III randomized clinical trials. Controlled Clinical Trials 20:172-186.
Article Critiques: focus on data sources/selection biases
20. Olsen, A., Magnussen, P. & Anemana, S. (1997) The acceptability and effectiveness of a polyester drinking-water filter in a dracunculiasis-endemic village in northern region, Ghana. Bull WHO, 75:449-452.
21. Stansfield, S.K., Pierre-Louis, M., Lerebours, G., and A. Augustin. (1993). Vitamin A supplementation and increased prevalence of childhood diarrhoea and acute respiratory infections. The Lancet 341:578-582.
Article Critiques: focus on ascertainment/measurement biases
22. Soewando, S., Husaini, M., and E. Pollitt. (1989). Effects of iron deficiency on attention and learning processes in preschool children: Bandung, Indonesia. Am J Clin Nutr 50:667-674.
23. Johnson, C.L., and C.E. Woteki. (1990). The art and science of interpreting survey data. Editorial. Am J Public Health 80:1427-1429.
24. Pappas, G., Gergen, P., and M. Carroll. (1990). Hypertension prevalence and the status of awareness, treatment, and control in the Hispanic Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1982-84). Different Views. Am J Public Health 80:1431-1436.
25. Geronimus, A., Neidert, L., and J. Bound. (1990). A note on the measure of hypertension in HHANES. Different Views. Am J Public Health 80:1437-1442.
Article Critiques: focus on analysis issues (assumptions, correlation, presentation, etc.)
26. Classen, D.C., Classen, J.B. (1997) The timing of pediatric immunization and the risk of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Inf Dis in Clin Practice 6:449-454.
27. Pampel, F.C. Jr., and V.K. Pillai. (1986). Patterns and determinants of infant mortality in developed nations, 1950-1975. Demography 23:525-541.
28. Ridwan, E., Schultink, W., Dillon, D., Gross, R. (1996) Effects of weekly iron supplementation on pregnant Indonesian women are similar to those of daily supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr 63:884-890.
29. Bang, A.T., Bang, R.A., Baitule, S.B., Reddy, M.H., Deshmukh, M.D. (1999) Effect of home-based neonatal care and management of sepsis on neonatal mortality: field trial in rural India. The Lancet 354:1955-1961.
30. Klepp, K.I., Ndeki, S.S., Leshabari, M.T., Hannan, P.J. & Lyimo, B.A. (1997) AIDS education in Tanzania: promoting risk reduction among primary school children [see comments]. Am J Public Health 87:1931-1936.
31. Grosskurth, H., Mosha, F., Todd., Mwijarubi, E., Klokke, A., Senkoro, K., Mayaud, P., Changalucha, J., Nicoll, A., ka-Gina, G., Newell, J., Mugeye, K., Mabey, D., and R. Hayes. (1995). Impact of improved treatment of sexually transmitted diseases on HIV infection in rural Tanzania: randomised controlled trial. Lancet 346:530-536.
Presentation & Miscellaneous
32. Anell, A, Willis, M. (2000). International comparison of health care systems using resource profiles. Bulletin WHO 78: 770-778.
33. Kishi, M., Hirschhorn, N., Djajadisastra M., Satterlee, L.N., Strowman, S., and R. Dilts. (1995). Scand J. Work Environ Health 21:124-133.